Why Skipping Rope is a Great Cardio Workout for Combat Sports Athletes
Hitting the gym is an important part of combat sports training, but it can be tough to fit in a workout when you're short on time or traveling.
Skipping rope or jumping rope is an effective and affordable way to improve your cardiovascular endurance and footwork, all while burning calories and staying in shape.
By incorporating skipping rope into your training routine, you'll improve your agility, coordination, and stamina, which can help you perform better in the ring or for general fitness and weight loss.
In this blog post, we'll show you how to get started with skipping rope, including tips for choosing the right rope, proper technique, and a beginner-friendly workout routine.
Choosing the Right Skipping Rope or Jump Rope for You
Before you start skipping rope, it's important to choose the right rope for your fitness level and goals. There are several types of ropes available, including speed ropes, weighted jump ropes, and leather skipping ropes.
Speed ropes are lightweight and designed for quick movements, while weighted ropes provide more resistance and can help build strength, endurance, tone up & are also beginner friendly.
Leather skipping ropes are a bit of old school class that is built to last when skipping a lot outdoors.
Whichever type of rope you choose, make sure it feels comfortable in your hands and suits your fitness level.
Proper Technique for Skipping Rope or Jumping Rope
Proper technique is important when skipping rope to prevent injury and get the most out of your workout. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Hold the handles of the rope with a firm grip, but don't squeeze too tightly.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and keep your elbows close to your body.
- Use your wrists to rotate the rope, not your entire arms.
- Jump just high enough to clear the rope, and land on the balls of your feet.
- Keep your core engaged and your shoulders relaxed.
PS We have some amazing videos on our YouTube channel including the below:
A Beginner-Friendly Skipping Rope or Jump Rope Workout Routine
Here's a simple and beginner-friendly skipping rope workout routine to get you started:
- Warm up with 5 minutes of light cardio, such as jogging or jumping jacks.
- Practice basic skipping technique for 5 minutes, focusing on form and rhythm.
- Do 3 sets of 60 seconds of skipping, with 60 seconds of rest in between each set.
- As fitness improve increase skipping time and decrease rest time.
- Finish with a cool down of 5 minutes of stretching.
Jumping Rope a Full Body Workout
Skipping rope or jumping rope is a great way to improve your cardiovascular fitness, coordination, and agility, all while burning calories and staying in shape.
By following these tips for choosing the right rope, proper technique, and a beginner-friendly workout routine, you can start skipping rope today.
Check out our selection of skipping ropes, boxing gloves, kickboxing leg guards, and other combat sports training equipment at Valour Strike to enhance your training even further.
Free Skipping Rope Training Videos
Check Out our YouTube Page, designed to support all journeys into combat sports training and a happier life.
From how to size my jump rope to a full on skipping rope workout we have something for you: